Rollercon '24: A Love Note

In case you missed it, Rollercon was last week. The annual trek to the middle of the desert to celebrate roller skating with the world began on Tuesday through Sunday. With the trip came some fun, internal conflicts, and much dancing to be had at the parties. I managed to come through sober, even though I’ll admit it was hot as fuck outside and a frozen margarita sounded lovely. Still did it. Instead of getting hammered, I thought about what my next steps in life were, and how did skating fit into the picture. Before I even left, Rollercon started with a chiropractor visit. I swear if I hadn’t done that, my body wouldn’t have been able to get through the Con. I didn’t sign up for any games, did a few classes, and hesitated to even put my park skates on knowing I was having a difficult time getting around the convention. I DID, however, sign up for a shit ton of NSO positions. This gave me a purpose and eased my mind asking if it was even worth coming to Rollercon. In between shifts I wandered, looking at what fellow friends were doing, checking out the cool vendors, and giving myself clarity on my purpose. By Saturday night, I was content. I was okay seeing all of my friends grow in Roller Derby. I was content and agreed that it’s not on my path to play competitively (let alone at all). I was unfortunately heartbroken, but at peace. Like leaving a relationship, if you love something let it go right? I can always shift into training, fuck around in parks, and of course have my hockey nights. I’m proud of myself for just ultimately going, not drinking, meeting new friends, and watching other people’s success. With that being said. I’m thinking of doing some more “interviews” with some of my mentors in the sport, or just people kicking ass in it. To my 5 readers I’ll keep you posted on the upcoming stuff on Instagram. (: If you didn't grab one of my stupid stickers at RC, feel free to message me about it and I can get one to you! -With love, Trish McCallister Aka Lettie Zeppelin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been 84 years..

It's okay if you don’t skate…

"Dropping In" with Nicholas Stewart aka Nick The Medic