It's okay if you don’t skate…



    Well, well, well, here we are again. Apologies while I’ve been checked out and disassociated for a while there. This is just a piece to update you on the road so far. Took an awkward fall at women’s hockey league about 2-3 months ago, who’s really keeping tabs. I know, I know…” you should really be more careful” and all that shit. I SWEAR it wasn’t my own doing, just a freak fall/collision where I tweaked my neck and “good” shoulder.  I tried to push through it and doing full contact felt worse and the pain started to radiate down my shoulder. No good. Also, what does not help is that I have transitioned to a different adult job (because derby and hockey aren’t cheap), so I must wait for a scan to see if the nerve is fucked. Yes, those are medical terms. In the meantime, I have been reading (too much in my opinion), and I think I might be recommending a NSFW book every time I blog. If you are recovering from injury or plain old burnout, its okay to take a break. It is okay to even just stop playing. It does not make you any weaker. Admitting that you have an issue is the strongest thing you can do. Yes sure, it sucks to watch people do what you wish you could be doing. It does not make them better or stronger though. Keep your head up and live your life.

    If you’re currently reading, it’s June and a major event in the quad world is coming up. That’s right…. ROLLERCON aka THE WILDEST CONVENTION IN THE WILDERNESS (Vegas). I’ve kept it secret for a while to some friends as I said like a gazillion times that I wasn’t going to go this year. Well, I guess I’m going to go this year. There will be a couple of things that will be different this year personally though. I’m going to commit to a completely sober Rollercon this year. I will be completely transparent and say that I got a little carried away and had too much to drink. Alcohol has not really been an issue with me, I’ve been lucky that way. There certainly are drinks that I can NOT touch because of past trauma. Fuck off Sailor Jerry and Jack Daniels. As much fun as it can be socially to have a few with friends, I’m going to prove to myself that it’s possible to go to Vegas and have a good time without the need for alcohol. Sponsor me Pedialyte because it’s going to be a thousand degrees out in the desert. If you’re going to be out in Rollercon this year and feel that you are struggling, there are a bunch of sober meetups happening and can be found on the main schedule and the people you meet are so amazing. I’m hoping to make a couple, just to keep my head right.




**If you just read for the NSFW book recommendation here it is**
If you are looking for smut, it’s not this time. Sorry, sometime down the road I’ll give a recommendation for that. If you liked Hunger Games or any book that has a sci-fi dystopia feeling to it, let me suggest its more badass cousin called Red Rising by Pierce Brown. Holy cow this was an amazing read that I absolutely devoured. Here is the synopsis on the back of the book.

               “His wife taken. His people enslaved. Driven by a longing for justice and the memory of lost love, Darrow will stop at nothing to bring down his enemies… even if he must become one of them to do so.”
               Honestly, I’ve had such a love for sci-fi films/books such as Gattaca, Minority Report, Dune, and The Fifth Element that I can easily see this coming to a big screen in the near future. There’s my hot take. If you see me reading in the corner at Rollercon, feel free to come up to me and ask what I’m reading.
              
 
Music Listened to while writing this "fluff" blog piece:
Give by Sleep Token
Nazareth by Sleep Token
In Waves by Trivium
Circle With Me by Spiritbox
Descending by Sleep Token
Once Upon Your Dead Body by Coheed & Cambria
 
Xo
Zeppelin



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been 84 years..

"Dropping In" with Nicholas Stewart aka Nick The Medic