Rollercon: The Calm Before the Storm

 Rollercon: The Calm Before the Storm

 


It’s the night before Rollercon, and all who gather are reuniting with their friends and loved ones before the convention begins by having a couple of drinks. Technically this is day 2 for me as we have arrived 2 days before the convention commences.

 

The first day consisted of travel and the Walmart haul of items you need or forgot. Of course, yours truly had forgotten socks of all things (I’m not the best packer).  We also had a dinner celebrating a dear friend/teammate in her 13th year of being involved in roller derby. Proceeding to go to the room and conking out to sleep before an early morning volunteer shift. 

 

If it weren’t for the volunteers and staff, Rollercon would simply cease to exist. The hard work they put in really shows how much they love this community and want it to thrive. Every ticket holder is indebted to them and should show their appreciation. Cheers to you Staff and Volunteers, thank you for everything you do!



 

After pooping out early on my shift because I needed to eat and take my meds (I know, I will pack them in my backpack for the rest of the week, silly Zeppelin), I took to the pool with a few buddies. Key tip, if you dehydrate to quickly, the Vegas sun/temps are not your friend. HYDRATE CONSISTENTLY, and then hydrate some more especially if you take any medications calling for it. Today was a struggle for me medically and mentally as I get into the swing of the changing schedules and organized chaos of arriving to Las Vegas. Listen to what your body tells you and don’t burn up the gas before the end of the race.

 


            The very last social thing I did was today was the Officials Happy Hour at The Sand Dollar Downtown. I didn’t stay long as I was getting a little tired again, but I did see another dear friend who is teaching some Non Skating Official classes this year that I hope to drop in and ask ALL of the questions!



The Officials at Rollercon are some of the best people to learn from at Rollercon. They make the Derby world go round. They are the unsung heroes. In my eyes they are the superheroes who wear magical capes.

            So far Rollercon has been really laid back and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Tomorrow will be an adventure that I eagerly await. 

 

Wish me luck!

 

With love,

-        Trish McCallister aka Lettie Zeppelin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been 84 years..

It's okay if you don’t skate…

"Dropping In" with Nicholas Stewart aka Nick The Medic